At room conditions Selaginella usually feels lack of moisture, so it is best to grow them in florariumah, teplichku, bottle cages or closed flower shop windows.Selaginella used as epiphytes or plants, tightly covered with soil.
most common in the indoor cultivation Martens Selaginella (lat. S. martensii).It is characterized by erect stem, reaching 30 cm in height, develops aerial roots, the leaves have a light green color.Variety watsoniana has silver tips of stems.
members of the species.
Martens Selaginella (lat. Selaginella martensii Spring).Synonyms is Selaginella martensii f.albolineata (T. Moore) Alston.The species is distributed in South and North America.This plant has erect stems, about 30 cm tall, has aerial roots.The leaves are light green in color.Variety watsoniana has silver tips of stems.
lighting. plants Selaginella like diffused light, not tolerant of direct sunlight.The best place to put them is the window of the western or eastern direction, and normally grow on the north side.On southern windows Selaginella should be placed at a distance from the window, it is necessary to create ambient light using translucent fabric or paper.Selaginella semi-shade.
temperature. summer some species quite acceptable room temperature.In winter, it is necessary briefly to lower the temperature to 12 ° C, normally carries content at 14-17 ° C. The low temperature adopted from Selaginella Krauss and beznozhkovaya.Thermophilic species Selaginella need temperatures above 20 ° C all year round.
watering. Selaginella need to water the plants abundantly all year, as will dry up the top layer of the substrate.In no case do not let overdrying of soil, it should be moderately moist constantly.Watering is recommended by the pallet, because the soil itself regulates the amount of water required.Water should be protected, it must be at room temperature, soft.
Humidity. plant requires high humidity, the minimum level - 60%.Thus, the higher the humidity, the better to be ventilated.Pot is recommended to use a tray filled with moist peat, expanded clay, pebbles or moss.
feeding. spring and summer, these indoor plants need to fertilize once a month, using a fertilizer diluted at a ratio of 1: 3.In the cold season should be fed every 1.5 months, more dilute fertilizer (1: 4).When making dressing, loosens the ground to make it breathable.
transplant. plants grown recommended to repot every two years during the spring-autumn.Selaginella have a shallow root system, so it should be transplanted into a shallow dish.The soil should be slightly acidic with a pH of 5-6.It includes: peat and sod land in equal proportions with the addition of parts of sphagnum moss.Good drainage is required.
reproduction. Selaginella - plants that are propagated vegetatively - by dividing the roots when transplanting.Species with creeping stems root yourself.Martens Selaginella Krauss and propagated by cuttings and in high humidity.They are well acclimatized, because the plants quickly form on shoots aerial roots.
- If Selaginella dry up the tips of stems, so the room low humidity.These symptoms may appear at the minimum acceptable benchmark of 60%.At even lower humidity the plant may die.Please note that constantly damp substrate will not improve the condition of Selaginella, and will only worsen.
- If the plant is contained in a closed container and begins to rot, so the capacity is too poor ventilation and high humidity.
- Remember that Selaginella not tolerate drafts.
- If the leaves darken and begin to die, so the plant is kept at too high a temperature.
- If the stems are drawn, and leaves turn pale, then Selaginella feels the lack of lighting.
- If plant leaves become soft and limp, the reason for the lack of air access to the root system.
- If Selaginella grows very slowly, so it feels a lack of nutrients.It should feed the plant.
- Pest rarely populated.